Setting SMART Goals, Embroidery Edition

Goal setting is vital when it comes to maintaining your home projects. It is what keeps us driven, passionate, and willing to put in the time! However, setting a good goal is key. I recall learning about setting “SMART” goals in high school, and I think this will be something I will have to constantly be reminding myself as I continue my jaunt into embroidery! Setting Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound goals.

For my first embroidery project, I set too lofty of a goal. I wanted to make a floral and berries design that I had imagined and began free handing a project only knowing the 10 stitches from my prior post. This led to a lil berry branch that lacked skill and sophistication to say the least… Not terrible looking, but could definitely use some more practice!

The next day, I went to Michael’s to pick up a smaller, 3′ embroidery hoop, some off-white cotton fabric, and a washable white pencil that will show on the black fabric I had on hand. Purchasing these materials got me feeling more optimistic about my next go at stitching.

For my next design, I decided to try and perfect one of the stitches I had already learned – the chain stitch. I was inspired to create a colourful palate and embroider a rainbow. Simple enough right?

I quickly etched in a basic rainbow shape with my new white pencil, picked out the colours I wanted to use, and began stitching! I fell into the same habit of free handing the first bridge in the deep green, but just followed my gut and went with it. I was pretty pleased with the final result to say the least. I end up making a matching rainbow on the off-white fabric as well!

As I was stitching, I began reflecting on how my years of sewing pointe shoes as a dancer have finally come in handy elsewhere in my life. Back when I was a competitive dancer, I could sew back stitches on my pointe shoes in my sleep…! Seeing how the underside of the chain stitch looks like a back stitch reminded me of this very fond memory of my past hobby!

(Back side of rainbow)

To complete this rainbow project, I will iron the fabric to get rid of the hoop wrinkles and pin them up on my cork board for the time being! My next SMART goal will be to create a wave print I think…! Got any other ideas?

Photos by Juli O. (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)